Pop Goes the Weasel - the songs
Pop Goes the Weasel (aka Lady Cocoa) Moonstone Entertainment 1975
While standing in line at the bank recently, a friend of mine was smitten by what she thought was Pop Goes the Weasel ring tones on someone's cell phone behind her. It turned out to be a child's toy.
While searching for ring tones of that favorite childhood ditty I came across a multitude of versions. Listed below are links of a variety of takes. Have a listen and choose your favorite. Mine is at the end of the list.
1. Pop Goes the Weasel as ring tones.
2. An old fashioned touch tone version.
3. How about a vocal rendition?
4. Sounds great done by a banjo orchestra.
5. Here are four versions from hand crank Jack-in-the-Box toys.
6. This one is sung by a baboon!
7. A full band "Pops the Weasel," followed by a swinging country rendition.
8. Disney's Silly Song version.
9. A very sweet rendition with a trombone finish.
10. Birdie whistles Pop Goes the Weasel. More songs by Birdie here.
11. You-know-what on classical cello.
12. The ol' fiddler plays fer ya!
13. A "Pop" baby singer!
14. Punk Goes the Weasel!
15. The classic ice cream truck version we heard as children.
Too bad I didn't find a rap version. Googling "Hip-Hop Goes the Weasel" didn't turn up a thing!
I'm stuck choosing between #11 and #15 - because only the cello seems capable of bringing out the poignant pathos of the song, yet the ice cream truck moved me to tears - nostalgia for those long ago Popsicles and Eskimo Pies, I suppose. ; )
I wonder if that obscure blaxploitation flick "Pop Goes the Weasel" has a version of the song in its soundtrack. I bet it does - something with a cool, urban 70's riff, I hope.