Friday, November 12, 2004

Hebrew Haiku


Japanese Rabbi

The original Hebrew Haiku:

shema yisrael
adonai eloyheynu
adonai echad.


An oldie, but goody, to be sure, but it hardly scratches the surface.
Here are some modern Jewish Haiku examples:

After the warm rain
the sweet smell of camellias.
Did you wipe your feet?

*****

Her lips near my ear,
Aunt Sadie whispers the name
of her friend's disease.

*****

Looking for pink buds
to prune, the old moyel
wanders among his flowers.

*****

Today I am a man.
Tomorrow I will return
to the seventh grade.

*****

Harsh Scrabble discord--
someone has placed "putzhead" on
a triple word score.

*****

Testing the warm milk
on her wrist, she sighs softly.
But her son is forty.

*****

The sparkling blue sea
reminds me to wait an hour
after my sandwich.


Read the rest at Jewish Haiku.

[Via Paula of Santa Monica]

[Photo credit: Japanese-Jewish Resources]

Copyright ©2005 Kapowie Zone

Fair Use Notice